Right, so, things have been dead here for a bit and I wanted to explain why.
- A few weeks back I was in Chicago for a few days, visiting friends and going to a wedding. Was a great trip, but the hotel didn’t have good wifi and it was the Tonberry King’s first big travel, so there wasn’t a lot of free time for me to blog.
- We came home to find our door kicked open and a bunch of our stuff gone, so a lot of mental space was then taken up doing inventory and reporting for law enforcement and insurance.
- There have been a couple of computer issues that cropped up at inconvenient times, because if I want to write and that writing requires research, but the research is impossible to do because YouTube won’t load videos in a timely manner, and the situation can’t be troubleshot because it’s clearly an ISP problem, and after I’ve tried to troubleshoot it myself I’ve lost the inspiration for the post and the baby wakes up… well, that means no writing, and a lot of frustration.
Things have thankfully calmed down, and we’ve replaced most of the big stuff that we lost. Then Patch 5.4 hit, and my free time has been taken up playing that rather than writing about the game… and while there’s a lot to be said about the patch, I think I’ve missed the boat a bit in terms of being able to write something original about it. Briefly, though:
- The Timeless Isle is pretty cool, but I expect that the experience of it is dulled by the boatload of players who are also on the island, camping rares, turning General into Shrine Trade, or rolling around in PVP hunter-killer groups. It’s ambitious but I need some narrative distance before I can write on whether it’s a success for Blizzard or not.
- I’m pretty happy about how the Horde/Alliance ending cinematics for SoO worked out, but I’m pretty upset about Jaina’s characterization and how much it feels like a gross heel turn for her. The problem is that I feel any argument I make to that effect will fall on deaf ears with Blizzard because Kosak is convinced that Jaina’s portrayal in the game has built appropriately to this super-aggressive version. Ultimately, I think that many of the qualities of Jaina’s character that I really cared for in the past have been stripped away so that she could be the violent human warmonger, since that role isn’t working for Varian Wrynn any longer. (There really is a bigger post on that, but again, I need some distance from the problem.)
- Haven’t been able to get into SoO in any mode yet, but I am looking forward to it. Might need to give LFR a week for the population to get a clear sense on how to do the fights; being a cloth DPS means that I’ll be in queue for a long time, and I can’t afford having a bunch of wipes eat up the limited hours I’ve got while the boy’s napping.
So I’m going to work on getting regular here again; we’ve got a long road ahead of us, seven weeks to BlizzCon, and I think there will be a lot of talk about between now and then. ^_^